Having put some of my designs into the gantry system at the FEDC the other day, I was made aware that a few components needed to be altered. I spent some time looking at the parts and making some significant changes.
The first component that I altered were the sliders that move along the x-axis. The issues with this component are the points in which the belt interact with the part. Having no groove that kept the belt secured while in tension, the belt was free to slip off as it moved. This was obviously a problem. I quickly added the groove that should hold the belt steady while in use.
I also looked at the other issue I noticed while testing the gantry. The issue was the stability of the y axis movement. To remedy this issue I selected new rods that are stiffer and leave less room for undesired movements.
With these new rods came new dimensions that I altered within the various components that interacted with the rods. I was able to print out the first prototypes and was met with issues that delt with structural faults. I did not leave enough room on the sides which resulyed in cracks in the plastic.
Ultimately, I was able to get the slider to meet my standards and I am eager to test it yet again.
Today, I journaled, worked out, read, tracked my caloric intake, and worked on at least one of my personal projects. Today was a good day.
What I am thankful for
I am thankful for this chessboard project. It has taught me many lessons and has kept me on my toes.